Sunday, February 14, 2010

Social Networking

Social networking sites are not just a way to keep up with old friends. Sure, that's how they start for many of us, but soon we begin to realize they can be useful for much more. What about using them for professional development?
Of all the ways to use a social networking site, this one may be the most common: one jumps from topic to topic, or page to page, 'listening in' on what others have to say. No links are made, and no networks are developed, but lurking has its purpose: it is one of the fastest ways to find out what others are thinking about a topic. Instead of getting caught up in the conversation, one can jump from point to point instantly, taking in as much as possible in the shortest amount of time. Many social networking sites make this easy by listing all of the updates others have made in order from newest to oldest. Of course, we often don't remain a lurker on our favorite site for long.
Our next steps are usually jumping in on the conversation. After taking a few minutes to learn the ropes in a new arena, we often want to join a few conversations, adding our own take on a topic of interest. By adding to what is already said, we can help reach others who may still be lurking around. The more partakers in a conversation, the more likely it will be to reach a well examined conclusion. Starting a conversation or setting our own updates, of course, can help us keep everyone informed of what is going on in our own lives. This can be as simple as "getting ready for work" (like I am right now), but, for someone attempting to use these sites as professional links, they should probably be a bit more involved. Have a question? Ask your network. Made an epiphany? Bring it up and see who agrees, who is going to try it, and who has a suggestion.
This brings us full circle. Someone else just had a question, and we get to answer it. So did our friend, and someone we don't yet have in our network. We all brought out good points, and the original poster has an arsenal to choose from and apply the best answer to the exact situation; we have also found someone to add to our network. Next, a friend posts their own epiphany. We go to work, and apply the new idea, and in the process, we tweak it a bit, and it works flawlessly. From our nearest link, we send the update to the site. The world is happy. At the end of the day, we post, "I'm tired." Someone else likes it, and another says, "Me too". Before we log off, though, someone else has a question, and we have to post our answer. It just might change the world.



We all know our favorite social networking sites: maybe we like Twitter, or Linkdin, or Facebook, or something else. If you know a good site for professional developing, please post it here. In the meantime, I have a few other sites here that educators might find useful (not exactly social networking sites, but related nonetheless):
37 Signals- managing site; made for small business, but great for class website
**http://37signals.com/**
My Own DB- Online, customized database
http://www.myowndb.com
School Tool- Do everything classroom related! Grades, lesson planning, homework, etc
http://www.schooltool.org/
Teamwork Live- project managing, tracking, and collaborating
http://www.teamworklive.com/TeamWork.htm
Vyew- Online meetings/ conferences
http://vyew.com/site/

5 comments:

  1. Orlin you make it sound so quick and easy! That has not been the case for me yet and I think the key to my problem lies buried in a quote from your blog: “…we often don't remain a lurker on our favorite site for long.” SITE (singular) or possibly plural but probably not mega-multiples. For me surfing social networking sites (blogs, Twitter, etc) has been akin to food shopping while hungry! There are so many good blogs out there and every time I see one I think “I better follow or at least bookmark this one…I might never find it again.” So far I’m not doing too badly, I’m only following 10 education blogs (only?) and that doesn’t include news sites and other areas of interest. I’m going to have to take my own advice and curb my enthusiasm - marinate in some of these sites for a while maybe…see a techno-shrink (do you think there's a 12 Step program for social networking?)

    On a related note Jim Gates posted this site as a tip on his blog this morning: http://openstudy.com/how_it_works. It looks like a study forum for students. Yet another example of social networking in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a lot of positive feedback on social networking. I am going to check out your suggested social networking sites and see if I connect with any of them. I have never heard of any of them before, but I am always open to new and efficient tools! For now, I use social networking to keep up with old friends as well, not so much for academic/professional purposes. Even though this is the case, I make sure I keep my information on a professional level as if someone important were to look at it for professional reasons. See ya in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Orlin! Thank you so much for those links. I always find your blog entries interesting and helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 37 Signals looks like such an interesting and helpful site. I like how it's designated for businesses but how you see the use it could have in a classroom- and I think if students used it schoolwork could seem more "important" and like job instead of a chore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your idea about blogging and the capabilities of different users. I especially like the idea that a blogger can choose the “arsenal” of ideas and then select what is best from the different topics and answers, or comments that the user generates. I like the idea that a user can post an idea and get multiple different responses from people of different backgrounds. I especially like the idea that the person who first created the idea can get multiple comments.

    ReplyDelete